After the successful operation of a small-scale research project, we are now proposing to develop a pre-commercial demonstration plant north of Edmonton, Alberta.
HI-Q® is a three-step process:
- The diluent that was added to the bitumen for field treating and initial pipeline shipping is removed and recycled back to the SAGD production facilities for re-use.
- Some of the lighter portion of the bitumen is separated from the heavier portion of the bitumen.
- Asphaltenes (solid hydrocarbons similar to crushed coal) are removed.
The innovative techniques being used in the HI-Q® process and the potential for significantly reduced environmental impacts compared to traditional oil sands processing methods have led to the support of a number of agencies including:
- Sustainable Development Technology Canada
- Alberta Innovates – Energy and Environmental Solutions
- Climate Change and Emission Management Corporation